[pct-l] Re: PCT racing

Since the trail is "public property" the public must, reasonably, be
accomodated. Reasonably seems to mean usage with respect, and not "too much"
damage, whatever that is. Many factions have a case for usage and there is
not a simple, clear cut case for denying it to them. (Not being a member of a
faction is not, in fairness, a reason to block them.)

I believe the outstanding issue is future threats to the trail. If used too
lightly, then it is at risk for close encroachment, relocation and even
elimination by coming generations. Future population growth will be a major
problem. Best to have as many responsible users as (reasonably) possible, as
allies, to keep and maintain it as it is for those future users.

As far as wilderness solitude is concerned, I have to ask how far a large
pack of runners could in fact travel. It seems like a marathon is enough for
almost anyone, and unless it is a loop of some kind, they have to cut it in
half to return. That's not even 15 miles out, and solitude seekers can be
beyond that in a days hiking.

My only request is that footraces be indicated with signs or other publicity
so as not to take solitude seekers, perhaps those with only a weekend
available, from being surprised and possibly annoyed. This would also cover
the rarer 100 mile range runs.

Other than that, let's all enjoy the wonderful resource that has fallen into
our hands and encourage sufficient usage to keep it available and maintained.

Best, Todd in Tarzana.