Re: [pct-l] Racing on the PCT

In a message dated 10/7/00 8:58:50 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
tom-rogers@home.com writes:

<< People racing on the PCT -- Good thing
Horsemen racing on the PCT -- Bad thing

Consider the impact of a medium sized pack train moving at a moderate pace,
then multiply that by, pick a number, to estimate the impact of lots of
individual competitive horsemen/women trying to get from point A to point B
in a hurry. >>

I have to agree with Tom ... horsemen/women racing on the PCT = a bad thing.

During my summer hiking in northern CA and southern OR this year, we had the
opportunity to follow two ladies with pack animals (4 horses total) over a
period of several days. Since we were day-hiking when we could, we sometimes
hiked from north-to-south. On those days, we also met the ladies somewhere on
the trail during the day. Once we had chatted and gone our separate
directions, it was surprising to see how much damage just 4 horses could do
to a trail. And, they were not racing ... just moving up the trail.

Charlie