[pct-l] Racing on the PCT? Input requested..

I posted a message about William Stenzel and the Angeles Crest 100 Mile
endurance run.

The fastest finisher at the AC 100 was at 19:09 and the slowest was 32:45
(the race has a 33 hour cutoff) that means on average about one runner
every 8 minutes crossed the finish line.

I bring this up because there is some concern by a few PCTA board members
that races negatively impact the trail. I know of several foot, equestrian,
and Ride&Tie (one horse, 2 people) races that occur along the PCT. These
races only occur on USFS, BLM or state park land (racing is illegal in the
National Parks) and are held under permits from the appropriate gov't
agencies.

Most of these races have fewer than 100 participants, start around dawn and
are fanatical about leave no trace (littering is grounds for
disqualification in all the races I have done...) Many do trail work on
"their" section of trail in preparation for the races. I helped collect
about 20 garbage bags of trash between Campo and Lake Morena one year,
before the "Smuggler's 50 miler."

After several years of racing on the trail (AC is in its 15th year, the PCT
50miler in San Diego has been run over 20 years), the PCTA finally noticed
these races (must be a huge problem if they took 20 years to notice) and is
"gathering information" about them.

I'd like to read how list members feel about races on the PCT and if they
are appropriate.

Since I participate in these races, I am admittedly biased, but I'd like to
hear all views, even those that may disagree.

TIA
Brick