Re: [pct-l] Racing on the PCT? Input requested..

brick@fastpack.com writes:

<< I'd like to read how list members feel about races on the PCT and if they
 are appropriate.  >>

I believe racing on the PCT should be encouraged as long as the impact on the
trail is controlled.  In August I met two runners on the JMT who were trying
for a record (under 4 days, S>N.)  What a sight to see them cruising past us
along Bear Ridge!  They hit some bad weather and other problems which caused
them to miss their 4-day goal, but did set a new record.

The Dipsea Trail Run is limited to 1500 entrants.  This has some negative
impact on the trail, but the Dipsea is an institution.  The longer duration
runs which might be staged on parts of the PCT would likely involve fewer
than 200 runners and support people, and have negligible impact.

The publicity which is generated by trail runs and races, can help improve
the public's image of the trail.  We need all the help we can get to
demonstrate that cattle grazing is not the highest, most beneficial use of
this resource.  A couple hundred hiker-types, by ourselves, don't make enough
noise to win this kind of argument.