Re: [pct-l] Racing on the PCT? Input requested..

At 02:33 PM 10/6/00 , Bighummel@aol.com wrote:
>Are these races highly structured, advertized, commercial events?  I.E., does
>someone make money on these?  This would seem to be an inappropriate thing
>for a national trail.

I'm sure some Race Directors make money. I'm sure some lose money. I'm sure
all people who provide guiding services (many in national parks) make money
too. The USFS and BLM make money off the permits fees they charge. The
amount of structure varries with the personality of the Race Director who
puts on the race. The PCT events are publicized in the normal places you'd
find similar trail races not on the PCT: the most used is
http://www.ultrarunning.com/

>Are these races increasing in number?

I don't really know. The pool of participants probably determines this. Not
that many folks around who are willing to run 30 to 100 miles. I doubt the
number of races is increasing any faster than the population.

>If so, what is it leading to?  A "PCT
>Eco-Challenge of Death!" ? Not good.

What exactly would be the problem with that? Bad image? I have a video here
with the title "PCT- Trail of Death." Is that name OK when a friend uses
it, but not OK when some greedy capitalist does? Assuming the participants
only walk or ride, and don't leave anything but footprints, what's the problem?

I know an end to end race was once proposed, but was scrapped when the
organizers found out they couldn't get permits through the National Parks.

Sounds like the same objection WingFoot had to Dave Horton's speed record
on the AT: too much attention to the trail. Then again, Wingfoot makes his
living off promoting the trail so maybe he just doesn't like the competition