Re: [pct-l] Racing on the PCT? Input requested..

Brick / List,

I don't know much about these races, Brick, so can you answer a couple
questions before we place our almighty judgement upon them?

Are these races highly structured, advertized, commercial events?  I.E., does
someone make money on these?  This would seem to be an inappropriate thing
for a national trail.

Are these races increasing in number? If so, what is it leading to?  A "PCT
Eco-Challenge of Death!" ? Not good.

How does 100 runners carrying almost no weight impact the trail versus 100
hikers carrying 30 pounds on their back? I have to assume the runner's impact
is less.  Besides, more than 100 people started the PCT this year in a three
or four day period at the end of April.

I have argued in the past against commercial horse - packing on the PCT in
most of the delicate wilderness areas (your definition is as good as mine)
due to the heavy impact that the commercial services put on a select trail
causing accelerated deterioation, so I am naturally sensitive to anything
that "loves the trail to death".

Unfortunately, the PCT is starting (emphasis on "starting") to show signs of
the saturation that the AT has experienced in the last few years.   The AT is
at an advanced stage of being loved to death.  Fortunately, the PCT is a
greater undertaking than the AT and not quite as well known, leading to a
slower pace of attraction.

The races sound like they are held with respect for the trail.  And, I doubt
that runners put more impact on the trail than hikers.  Are they likely to
escalate into a "PCT Eco-Challenge of Death!" ?  I don't know.  Are they
likely to attract a bad element to the trail?  I doubt it.

Let's just not love the PCT to death.

IMHO,

Greg "Strider" Hummel

(all references to "Death" are courtesy of Madman Monte Dodge)