[pct-l] GPS Data

I recently completed a hike along the PCT between the Three Sisters in
Oregon and Snowqualmie Pass, Washington, about 400 miles. I carried a GPS
that collected track data at 10 minute intervals(2048 points) and recorded
several hundred averaged way points at trail intersections and notable
points along the trail.

I was curious if there is any other hikers who have collected similar field
data that would care to share or trade data. If so, please contact me at
kenandeb@sover.net

As a side note, this is the first time I carried a GPS on a long hike. My
reason for bringing it along was to compare the data against USGS
Topographic Maps(Digital Raster Maps). I have Ozi Explorer GPS software
($70) that uses the public domain DRG's, available from Mexico to Canada.

I did not intent to use the GPS to aid in determining my location while
hiking, but found the damn thing to be quite useful along the trail. By
using the software, I was able to load way points along the trail (up to
1000) into the GPS before the trip.  These points were usually trail heads,
intersections, water sources and camps on and near the trail.  A string of
these points can be associated together into "routes".  So what you end up
with is a string of 30 locations along the trail, each location five or so
miles apart.  The GPS will tell you the distance to each point along your
route, given your present location.

So what ends up being useful is the daily practical decisions you make with
the knowledge of how far you are from important places up the trail, such as
water, camps, roads, whatever. I found I also eliminated that nagging doubt
that pops up from time to time as to whether I'm heading in the wrong
direction, or the real pain in the butt of actually going in the wrong
direction.

Granted a GPS does not enhance ones "commune with nature", it's a little
intimidating knowing the time of day from the atomic clocks in 12
satellites, and it is a little annoying knowing exactly where you are all
the time. Some of my fondest memories are wondering around being totally lost.

I'm not saying a GPS is necessary, but I found it to be quite useful in a
practical sense. As the PCTA says, "Most experienced trekkers would find a
GPS superfluous",  but there's one less now.
Regards, Ken Roberts.