[pct-l] Re: Water Bags

Mara wrote about the Dromedary bags and leaking. I use the liners for the
Platypus bags, the 3 liter wide mouth, zip lock opening ones. I got a pinhole
leak at a lower flex point after 75-80 miles in the G4 mesh side pocket.

On my last trip, when the drip-drip-drip down the back of the right leg
developed, cleaned the pinhole leak area with stove alcohol and applied about
a 1/2 inch by 1 inch strip of Frost King Weatherseal Tape (Thermwell Products
Co.) I got from Home Depot in L.A. This fixed it and I don't know how long it
will last. I have cleaned a path on the side of the bag with alcohol and
stuck on a 2 inch by 4 inch piece of this stuff for future need.

Hope this helps. Incidentally, this product is no longer carried by Home
Depot, which is why I give the mfg's name. It is a standard "all weather"
tape carried in many hardware stores. I also carry a plastic cap with the
hole for this bag since it looks flimsy and could be miserable if it cracks
in the middle of somewhere.

Todd in Tarzana.