[pct-l] Waist Bands and Shoulder Weight

A lot of discussion has gone on here in regards to the lack of waist belts on
some packs and the ability to load weight onto or off of your shoulders.  I
prefer more weight on my waist for some reason, likely to maintain a lower
center of gravity.  However, I paid a dire and permanent price for doing so
on my thruhike.  The belt over time apparently cut the circulation off to a
nerve in my leg.  So I now have a strip on the top of my thigh about 4 x 1
inches that is permanently numb and gives a burning feeling periodically when
warming up.  As is the case with most things, too much of anything isn't good
for you.  Of course, the modern, high tech, heavy weight belts nowadays are
more heavily padded and loads are lighter.  But the recent trend to go
ultralight has shown some very thin waist belts.  Careful.

Greg "Strider" Hummel