Re: [pct-l] Water bottles

I like water "bags" of some sort as they collapse and take up less space
once you drink their contents.  Not all are as unwieldy as the ones you've
seen.

I've also been concerned about durability issues when it comes to
soda/Gatorade bottles and even many of the commercial Platypus, etc. bags.
While these can be easily and inexpensively replaced should they spring a
leak, what happens if they spring a leak when you still have a couple of
days where you need to be able to carry a lot of water before you can
replace them?

I bought a Dromedary bag because I had never heard of one leaking and I was
headed into the desert and had to be able to carry two days of water.  That
was years ago and I still have never heard of one leaking.  Of course, I
bought it before I started weighing everything to the half ounce.  :-)  They
now make a Drom Lite bag that's lighter than the original - probably worth
checking out - but probably still heavier than some alternatives.  I still
wonder about reliability issues...

FWIW, Dromedary bags come in many sizes - from 2 liter to 10 liter (and
more?).  They do not come with a bite valve adapter but last year one came
on the market.  The first generation leaked right away for everyone I ever
talked with who tried one.  I've bought a new 2nd generation adapter this
summer but have yet to try it.

Mara

P.S.  They can also make a good pillow...  filled with water or air.
  :-)