Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 08:45:38 -0700
From: Ronald Moak <ronm@fallingwater.com>
Subject: RE: [pct-l] tents...

Robert writes >>  Not quite ready to do the tarps, though.  :) <<

Robert,

Making the leap from tent to tarp is one of the hardest equipment changes a
backpacker undergoes. After all how can a little tarp provide all the
protection of a fully enclosed tent. A tent is really a mini versions of our
house. On the other hand the tarp is kind of like sleeping in the car port.

However, there are a few things to consider about the tarp vs. tent argument
before simply dismissing the tarp. The strengths of a tent over a tarp are
commonly defined as better weather protection, bug protection and additional
warmth. When added together, all of these benefits seem to justify the
additional cost and weight of carrying a tent.

Is a tent necessary? Well considering that backpacking tents have become
common in the backcountry in the last few decades, I'd say no. Pryor to the
development of nylon, few people ever carried tents. Unless they were packed
in by horse back. They were simply too heavy to carry on one's back. So
clearly it isn't necessary to walk about in the wilderness lugging along a
tent.
<snip>