Re: [pct-l] alcohol stove fuel

<< i just built my new cat can stove and was wondering what the best kind of
 fuel was for it. i tested it out with  rubbing alcohol wich worked fine but
 it was a little sooty,is this a problem with all alcohol or just that kind?
 also what all can you use in? it ive heard everything from paint thinner to
 everclear. rob >>

Rubbing alcohol has up to 30 percent or more water.  It will burn, but not as
well a alcohol stove fuel.  The stove fuel is available from hardware or
camping stores.  I get mine at Orchard Supply Hardware.  Another PCTlister
mentioned marine supply outlets as a possible place to buy fuel.

Paint thinner (petroleum based) shouldn't be used, but paint stores usually
carry shellac thinner (denatured alcohol).  Read the labels to be sure you
have pure alcohol.  Everclear should work fine but I have no idea where you
can get it.