[pct-l] RE: Ursack Report

	This past weekend, I had the opportunity to meet a Yosemite Ranger
at REI who had an interesting story to tell about the Ursack.  Apparently,
two hikers who were starting out on their JMT thru hike, were using an
Ursack.  Their first night out (somewhere between Cloud's Rest and Tuolumne
Meadows) a bear visited their campsite at night and began to work on their
Ursack, which was cabled to a tree as instructed.  The bear was able to chew
a hole in the fabric (not the seams - they had the latest "taped seams"
model) and make off with their food.  I wouldn't have believed him, except
he had pictures.  It looked like the bear was able to make a 5-6" tear in
the center of the bag and pull the food through it.  The ranger said that
the only thing that has worked 100% of the time so far is the Garcia Bear
Canister.  He further said that bears see the Ursack and associate it with a
food bag, since it looks similar (same idea as the
"cooler-in-the-car--empty-or-not" concept Yosemite visitors have come to
know).  They haven't made this association with the Garcia yet since they
haven't had any results getting in. This determined bear took an hour to get
into the bag, with the women throwing stones, yelling, banging pots and all
the other usual practices.  He wouldn't leave until he got in.  Just thought
I would bring this to the list's attention as information, FWIW.

	Eric Weinmann
	PCTA Board of Directors