Cc:            PCT-L@backcountry.net
From:          Jeffrey Olson <jjolson@uwyo.edu>
Date:          Fri, 08 Sep 2000 06:43:10 -0600
Subject:       Re: [pct-l] pack dilemna

I much enjoy the discussions on homemade and ultralight packs on the
list.  But at 48, with a constantly tender back, I smile rather than
dream about getting down to a 12 pound base weight for trips.  I'm
content now with 20 - 22 pounds and a three pound internal frame that
keeps all the weight on my hips.  There are so many factors that go into
a person's backpack style any black/white or either/or thinking seems
slightly absurd. So rather than debate, it would seem fruitful to offer
opinions and persepctives on intersections of different factors, like
back pain, gender, age, shape, financkal status, etc., that go into
choices.  For example, my guess is that there are at least 10 middle
aged guys with back pain struggling to keep weight down who ramp up
exercise prior to a three week section hike.  Or 20, 20 something women
hikers who wonder what others with relatively modest/lots of experience
do in planning, hiking style, etc...  Just some thoughts...

Jeffrey Olson
Laramie Wyoming.