From: Jeffrey Olson [mailto:jjolson@uwyo.edu]
Sent: Thursday, September 07, 2000 6:27 PM
Cc: PCT-L@backcountry.net
Subject: Re: [pct-l] pack dilemna

I met a woman hiking the PCT who had just had back surgery and was told she
could never backpack again.  She was backpacking, wearing a Jansport D-5.  I
have lower back pain and cannot take any weight on my shoulders.  I have a
long
Jack Wolfskin internal with load lifters that takes all the weight, and a
Jansport D-3 for group trips.  The shoulder straps hold the pack to my chest
with no weight on the shoulders...

Jeffrey Olson
Laramie Wyoming...

"Reynolds, WT" wrote:

> There is nothing better than a D-5 for walking down the trail. Two
solutions
> that I have tried.
> 1-Strip the pack bag off and replace it with lighter sacks that you lash
on.
> This reduces the convience of the D-5 but drops the packweight to about 3
> pounds
> 2-Spring for a Kelty Cloud. Configure with stays and hipbelt. Toss
> everything else. The Kelty hipbelt is very rigid and acts more like a d-5
> than anything I have tried. [My wife hates it however because it doesnt
> contour to a woman's hips]. Packweight 2 pounds.
>
> I do NOT believe a fanny pack will work because the weight rotates the
> pelvis, something that the D-5 is very good at not doing. Additionally, I
> find that even a 10 pound pack places more weight on my shoulders than a
d-5

> Tom

I'm

> unsure aboutanything else.
>
> Anybody have any experience in this area?
[ *** too many quoted lines.  automatically truncated *** ]