Re: [pct-l] Bear report needed from JMT

In a message dated 8/31/00 11:17:03 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
dharmabum64@worldnet.att.net writes:

<< I saw the biggest bear all summer just about 15 miles out of  T. Meadows.
Hey is a big guy and very blond and for a minute I thought I was back home in
Alaska and staring at a Griz till I saw he had no hump above his shoulders.
He seems very used to people so watch out.
 Cheers, Dharma >>

Hey, were you north of Tuolumne Meadows, around Glen Aulin or up that way?
Sounds like you met Brenda, a big (statuesque?) blonde who really knows how
to take down a counterbalanced food cache.  I believe I've met her twice.
The first time was several years ago, after I had hiked a couple thousand
feet up out of Hetch-hetchy and stowed my food not quite high enough on a
bear wire.  Brenda really enjoyed a canned ham I was kind enough to pack in
for her.  Then, in '97, we counterbalanced our six days of groceries which we
had picked up in TM, in a tree just out of Glen Aulin.  I will bet you it was
Brenda again, who was up in that tree clawing chunks of wood out of the limb
trying to drop our stash.  Fortunately, we heard the commotion and were able
to save the bacon.  That is one smart Yosemite Yogi, well trained by all of
us who aren't quite smart enough to stow our food properly....   The sad
thing is, she'll probably be shot if we don't do a better job of retraining
her.