Re: [pct-l] G4 Review, gear list and general reflections of a fir st-time ult...

Tom Reynolds wrote:

<< What is unusual about your brothers hike is number of resupply stops. Most
JMT thruhikers resupply once between Whitney and VVR or Mammoth.

Hi Tom.  Yeah, we chose to hike out to South Lake and Bishop to stay
overnight and get a shower.  Dusy Basin and Bishop Pass are favorite places
of ours from many trips in the past.  If I had it to do over, I would have
skipped the Reds Meadow resupply.  (On a N-S JMT hike.)  Unnecessary and
expensive.  If you start in the valley at Happy Isles, resupply at Tuolumne
Meadows and then Vermilion Valley Resort.

<< I don't think the GV4 was designed for a 21 pound base weight -- more like
 8-10. That said, your brother's comments that it was "too big" is telling. I
 have a Kelty Cloud that is slightly larger than the Vapor mentioned. It fits
 an 18 pound base weight very nicely with 2 1/2 gallons of water and a week
 of food.

I carried the Vapor and was very impressed with it.  It was borrowed from
other son Brian.  We asked Greg to give his opinion of the GV4 without a lot
of input from Brian or me.  I thought his comments were very constructive for
a person who has never left a trailhead before without 50 lb. +/- on his
back.  Greg hasn't had an opportunity to backpack for more than 8 years, and
was taking a lot on faith to start on a 250 mile hike with a 23 lb pack
(including that 3 lb flight training manual that he needed to study along the
way.)  We had a great trip!