[pct-l] intrepid souls

I've been reading the latest National Geographic about the California Trail
used by emigrants in covered wagons during the mid 1800's and it struck me as
to how much PCTer's have in common with these folks. True, their separation
from there past was permanent and their hardships much more severe,(there
were an average of 10 graves per mile) but we both shared a great adventure
living for months in the outdoors never knowing for sure the outcome of our
journey or what we would find along the way and trying to beat the onset of
Winter. Even the same naysayers existed telling the emigrants that they were
nuts and that it was foolhardy to attempt the journey. I have a strong
suspicion that most long distance hikers would not have hesitated a moment to
join these intrepid souls if we had lived back then. What a glorious period
of American history!