Re: [pct-l] Thinking about a PCT hike

In a message dated 8/28/00 1:58:59 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
krk@home.msen.com writes:

<< How easy is the
 trail to follow especially in the desert sections in the south? My vision
 is low and this is an important issue to me. I don't need a trail to have
 blaze every few hundred yards, but if the trail spends miles and miles
 crossing boulder fields or flat unremarked terrain that does cause me
 troubles. >>

I don't think there were any serious problems finding the trail through the
desert.  If there were decisions to be made about which way to go, either the
trail guide or a short walk down the wrong path would make everything clear.
Now, finding the trail under four feet of snow?  That's a map and compass
exercise!

OTOH, I met a hiker in '97 who was on his way to Canada but was walking south
on the trail when we met.  Seems he had a deficiency of "wild goose" in him
and couldn't remember in the morning which way he had come from to get where
he was.  We turned him around.  Have always wondered if he ever got out of
California!