Re: [pct-l] bears

I agree! The park management (YNP) is *finally* realizing this and
starting to use rubber bullets to put this fear back into the bears.

I will take this one step further: ie, I am sure you have seen the
bear traps used in Yellowstone, Yosemite, et al?  Well, did you
ever notice  the reflectors, the wheels and the shape of a bear
trap? Looks almost exactly like a car to bears. Now how did bears
learn about cars? Sloppy food storage or the yummy bear traps
the Rangers habituated the bears on learning there was food inside
(even if they get caught the worst that happens is they go for
a long ride and then walk back!)-- They shoud rethink this one as
well!

oh- BTW- the ursack is being recalled (does not work!) so take care on that
route.

I also have been sleeping with my food, however one attack got
quite scarey as the bear WOULD NOT leave and kept trying to
get into my tent. I had to start a small fire and wave a burning
stick at the bear before it left. Rocks would not do it this time
(Lyell canyon above the last bridge and a few hundred feet
below Donahue pass). In 20 years I have **never** seen such
an aggressive bear!

I now put a decoy (small bag of open food) away from my tent
with an alarm (cook pot and rocks and body alarm) tied to it.
 Wakes me up before they get to the tent and I can then do battle.
Carrying extra 1.5 or 3 lb cannister is stupid regulation-- hanging
food still works in heavy areas if it is high enuf up and between
two small tall trees which even the cubs won't climb. (Also worked
in Lyell again this summer)

Happy Trails,

Rich

PS- I am leaving Dave's note attached below becasue it makes so
much sense and it puts my response in proper context)
(usually should delete and not repost again)