Re: windscreen material

Jeff Borsecnik <jborsecnik@aol.com>.wrote:

> I'd like to make a windscreen for a cannister stove.  Any other ideas? Where
> can you get super-heavy foil? or very light sheet metal?

Jeff,

Hobby or craft stores carry aluminum "Craft Foil" or "Tooling Foil" in a 3'
long roll x 12" high. The stuff I buy comes in a cardboard tube. I pay $5
which is $1 less than the MSR windscreen and it makes 2-4 windscreens based
on the type you need. It is thinner than the MSR windscreen, but also
lighter. It should serve your purpose well. Be carefull when enclosing
canister stoves. As you pointed out, you want the windscreen above the
canister, or plenty of "hole-punched" holes along the base to provide ample
oxygen & ventilation. Most cartridges have plastic valves which melt if the
base of the stove becomes to hot. The melted plastic then plugs up your
stove's jets and ruins it. The wire frame, or some of the tooling foil 1/2"
wider than the diameter of your pot used at the base of the burner - but
above the cartridge connection - should work. I then place a foil cylinder
on top of the foil disc, then another disc on top as a lid to hold in the
heat. I can actually bake bread & pizzas using this method with the
addition of a diffuser.

Michael

This email and any files transmitted with it are intended
solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they
are addressed.  If you have received this e-mail in error,
please notify the originator.