[pct-l] Trip Report, Alcohol Stoves, ....

Just resubscribed to the list after 19 days hiking the JMT N-S.  IMHO, Secton
H is the best the PCT has to offer.  I hiked with my other son, Greg, who
hasn't been on the trail for eight years because of more pressing commitments
like work.  We had a most enjoyable hike.

Our hiking companion for several days was Dave Harkness from Georgia, an AT
veteran who was a great trail companion, but not quite prepared for the
August weather in the Sierra -- i.e., rain, hail, thunder, lightning, and
when that was over, clear skies with ice on the sleeping bags in the morning.
 Someone had told Dave that it doesn't rain in California in August.  He went
on ahead when Greg and I hopped out over Bishop Pass to resupply.  I hope
(and expect) that he finished and went on to recover for a few days in
Hawaii.  Dave was especially interested in the quality of the trail work
along the JMT.  He appreciated the man-hours which have gone into making this
trail a National Treasure.

Our greatest disappointment on the trip was during the height of the Persied
meteor shower, when we were camped at Guitar Lake (11,500 ft.) with clear
weather and a nearly full moon.  We saw many bright Persieds and a couple of
real fireballs, but the bulk of Mt. Whitney was directly to the east.  Later,
in Lone Pine, we read about the spectacular display of Aurora Borealis which
occurred that night over the White Mountains, directly to the east of Bishop
and Lone Pine .  So close!

At Tuolumne Meadows on July 28, we met Beaker, a PCT thruhiker who trashed
his ankle on the first day out of Campo.  After three weeks off and now
wearing an ankle brace, Beaker is heading north trying to catch up with the
pack and finish at Manning Park before the northern Cascade weather cancels
his trek.  Best wishes to him and his hat.  Those of you on the trail will
recognize Beaker by his straw hat, without crown, held together by pounds of
duct tape.

Beaker informed me that the stove of choice on the PCT this year burns
alcohol.  Not all of these are Cat Stoves or Tuna Can Stoves, but I'm still
pleased to hear it.  An alcohol stove makes a lot of sense for a thruhiker.

Tom Reynolds, speaking of stoves, you should know that we met a hiker near
Woods Creek who showed us a canister stove which was truly impressive.  I
believe he called it a SnowPeak, very small and light, quick to light, and
burned like hell....  I'm not a canister stove fan like you, but it worked
just fine.