[pct-l] Re: pct-l-digest V1 #1227

In a message dated 08/18/2000 3:16:55 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-pct-l-digest@majordomo.hack.net writes:

<< Had a few deaths on the AT from heart attacks. Hikers on the AT list rant
 that Americans are too soft now days and out of shape . ( written by a 23
 year old snowboard/skateboard type I'm convienced ) Your chances of death by
 heart attack on the trail are less than your chances of being crushed in
your
 auto driving to buy a new sleeping bag. Even if you do have the BIG ONE
 hiking, so what!!! >>

My family and I had the recent troubling experience of trying to help a man
who had a heart attack on the trail.  Nothing about his appearance would tell
you he was out of shape.  In fact, his hiking boots were well worn.  After
CPR failed and the rescue by EMT's appeared futile, we quietly left the wife
and son to grieve their loss.

You must know your limitations and be prepared to accept your fate.  True, it
was a beautiful place to leave this life, but a sad and possibly premature
departure  as far as his family was concerned.

Compass