RE: [pct-l] I carry less overall weight......

On Thu, 20 Jul 2000 13:24:45 -0700 &quot;Reynolds, WT&quot; <reynolds@iLAN.com> wrote:
>PS: Is this list dominated by thruhikers? I don't know. Certainly many even
>most have thruhiked and/or long-distance hiked and many more are planning to
>do one or the other.....but.....what most on this list seem to ACTUALLY DO
>is 50-200 mile section hikes. The question: What percentage have hiked over
>200 miles in a single hike [my understanding of the ALDHA definition of a
>long-distance hike]in the last three years? I don't know.

Actually, I don't think there is much difference. The long distance hikes I've been on were just hikes of 3 to 6 days or so. There just happened to be 20 or 30 or what ever of them strung together, one after another. I mostly do the shorter hikes but every year or so I like to take off for a few months and just walk.
When I actually long distance hike I use a home built Esbit stove rig and an MSR Ti teapot. The entire rig, stove/pot stand, lighter, tiny alcohol drop bottle, wind screen, teapot, stuff sack, and 6 tabs weight 11 oz. That 6 day setup will cover 99.99% of the distances I'll ever go between resupplies. My meals, breakfast, lunch or dinner, consistently come in at 6 oz. or there about.
I sometimes carry gourmet gorp or candy bars, just because life isn't worth living without candy.
I seem to carry pretty much the same thing on a 2 - 3 night trip as I do for a 60 to 90 night trip. My bounce box takes care of season/terrain changes for me. In the winter I tend to carry my Trangia. It melts snow more efficiently than the Eabit rig and is MUCH quieter than my Dragonfly... ;o)
Jerry

Sign-UP for your FREE Backpacker Email at http://www.backpacker.com/email
P.S. Click here to get a FREE trial issue of BACKPACKER:  http://www.backpacker.com/subs/home.rhtml/I9KF001