Re: [pct-l] Sierra Hike vs. Thruhike

on 7/5/00 5:54 PM, Reynolds, WT at reynolds@ilan.com wrote:

> In reality most alcohol
> and esbit users use close to two ounces a day because it's just too
> difficult to perfectly measure the exact fuel you need and/or extinguish the
> stove and recover unused fuel.

Esbit's are easy to measure with. One per two cups of water. Extinguishing
it is a matter of blowing it out.

on 7/5/00 5:54 PM, Reynolds, WT at reynolds@ilan.com wrote:

> Thruhiker style eating cooks one meal a day with 2 cups [1 pound] of water
> and doesn't simmer anything. This water is absorbed into the meal. The
> result is ONE pound of weight saved per day.
>
> I boil 4 cups of water per person [2 pounds] per day that is adsorbed into
> my food. This water is absorbed into the meal. The result is TWO pounds of
> weight saved per day.

Are you assuming that hikers are going to carry the water they use to cook
with all day? Or are you're counting weight savings based on the water
absorbtion of your food? (In which case one could reason great weight
savings by using super absorbent foods) Or do your meals simply require that
much water? And if this water is never carried how can it account for weight
savings?

One thing you neglect to mention is the environmental impact of cannisters.
Those empty ones gotta go somewhere.

Troubadour
http://www.pcthiker.com | experience the pacific crest trail