Re: [pct-l] RE: pct-l-digest V1 #1185

I use "denatured alcohol" which is often labeled as "shellac thinner" and
"alcohol stove fuel."  The "alcohol stove fuel" part actually refers to
marine stoves, but what the heck.  I am told that in a pinch you can burn
rubbing alchol but that it burns "sooty" and (at least the 70% stuff)
doesn't burn as hot.  Some brands of  gas line antifreeze are made from
Isopropyl alcohol and reportedly burn hot but sooty.  Denatured alcohol is
basically ethanol (drinking alcohol) with stuff added to make you sick if
you drink it, so 200 proof liquor ("Everclear" is a brand, I think) would
also work well if expensively.

If you go the gas line antifreeze route make sure the stuff you buy DOES NOT
CONTAIN PETROLEUM DISTILATES.  You do NOT want to burn pretroleum based
anything in an open stove.

-- Jim