[pct-l] junk

Now that I have a job vaguely "alpine" and "outdoors" related, I am catching
up with all the gear bullshit and unbelievable news since I sort of dropped
out of the "scene" after college.

I heard the name "Go-Light" mentioned a few times this spring as people were
preparing for their hikes, and figured it was a special pattern or something
for a Jardine-style backpack. Then I find an Outside mag from last year
talking about this great little startup by (and this is too weird) some dude
who worked to get the first Bush elected president. Let's see...he read the
Ray-Way and was so taken he decided to start a company based on the ideas?
        A total head scratcher. First we have a right-winger trying to make
money off an idea where you were supposed to save money by making your own
gear. Okay. And Ray Jardine went along with this. Okay. And now there are
people actually buying Jardine "style" backpacks to go ultralight right out
of the store without actually trying the methods out first. And Ray is going
along with this.

Very strange.

Perusing the back issues of Outside, it seems they have a real "thing" with
ultra-lightweight backpacking. It's totally bizarre; sandwiched inbetween
GEAR ARTICLES, GEAR ADVERTISEMENTS, and cushy resort vacations with photos
of people using LOTS OF GEAR, there are articles about "throwing it all
away," and "going lightweight." Too weird for me, thank you.

Interesting hike last week -- met a bunch of guys trying to climb Split
Mountain. They had lots of nice stuff -- Suunto altitude watches, nice jeep,
snow flukes, ropes, etc., but didn't have the time to acclimatize because
they only had two days away from their job. Too weird.

will