[pct-l] Long Distance Hiker Image

Long distance hikers typically look and smell like low life people possessing
seriously deficient moral and ethical characteristics.  Therefore,
authorities in sensitive areas will generally make an erroneous assumptions
about a thruhiker's character.  Contrarily, we all know that the character of
long distance hikers is, in general, of the highest moral and ethical
characteristics.  The problem is we don't look like it under the conditions.

Most authorities, upon full comprehension and understanding of the endeavor
that long distance hikers are undertaking, will do an about face and lend you
the last $20 bill in his wallet!  I have only met a few people who are not
thoroughly fascinated with the prospect of long distance hiking.  One in
particular that I know has the habit of one-upping every story of merit that
he hears.  In most situations he has truly and actually out done the teller.
However upon hearing of my thruhike he had no comparable endeavor to
challenge or one-up me with and asked no questions as is the customary
response.  This is not the norm.

I suggest when confronted with a bullying authority that you simply explain
that you have walked from the Mexico border to get to this place and are on
your way to the Canadian border.  This generally gets to their sense of
adventure and also indicates that you are "just passing through".

IMHO,

Greg "Strider" Hummel