[pct-l] Re: Mosquito Repellers

I had not heard of the dragonfly mosquito repeller yet, but am aware of an
electronic mosquito repeller that mimicked the buzz of a male mosquito. It
worked on the principal that only impregnated female mosquitoes seek out a
blood meal prior to laying her eggs. Seeing a male mosquito's only purpose
is to copulate with as many females in sight before his energy reserves are
exhausted (think about this for a bit), it would not be advantageous to an
impregnated female to be delayed from her blood meal by a swarm of
copulating males. The makers of this repeller assumed the buzz sound of a
male mosquito was the trigger for an impregnated female to go the other way.
I think they based their reasoning on poor assumptions, failing to take into
account the mosquito's use of pheromones as environmental cues. DEET works
on the same principal and does a good job if your willing to use the stuff.
I am able to get by under most situations with just a very large bandana I
use as a switching tool, a mosquito net, and proper clothing.

Rusty "MyTie" Johnston
pctresearch@pcthiker.com | Long-distance backpacking research
http://www.pcthiker.com | experience the Pacific Crest Trail