[pct-l] pct-l help, please

I tried to post this yesterday and the day before, but as far as I can tell,
it didn't get on this list - at least, when I received the digest, it wasn't
on it... and no one responded privately, so I'm guessing it didn't get
through.  I really would appreciate your input.

Karen Berger

Please help!

As many of you know, I'm currently completing a book on how to hike the
triple crown trails, which will be published by the Mountaineers next spring.

I REALLY want to include other voices in the book.
I believe that there are many ways to successfully thru-hike, and to stress
that, I want to include other people's advice. Sort of the anti-guru approach.

Can you PLEASE send me one or two short (can be 20 words if you like) "Best
tips" for long distance hiking. Not something general like "cut down your
packweight" but something specific you did or learned that really helped, and
why.  Don't think you have to be a thru-hiker to offer a tip: Section hiker,
your input is especially valuable, since most people aren't thru-hikers.

An example of the kind of tip I'm looking for

"Every time I pack a food frop, I put into it a list of gear an equipment
that is coming to the next food drop. That way, if I'm running out of
something like sunscreen or bug dope, I know whether I've got replacement
waiting in the next food drop, or whether I should buy it at the next
opportunity."

Please include your full name, because I'll credit you in the book.

Topics include: Lightening your pack, stoves, route finding, alpine hiking,
rain, snow, walking uphill, getting in shape, food, health, repair, dealing
with manufacturers, preparing for a hike,  financing, planning, dealing with
bills and mail wile you're gone, food drops, using floater mail drops,
carrying lots of water, desert hiking,  hiking sticks, making big mileage,
AND ANYTHING ELSE YOU CAN THINK OF pertaining to long distance hiking.
 For the PCT: Info on the Sierra, the desert, starting southbound in the
Cascades, or dealing with rain in the Cascades would be particularly helpful.

Please help! The more voices in the book, the more helpful it will be.

Karen Berger