[pct-l] Alcohol on the trail

 As a reborn alcohol nut, I can say this fuel is getting easy to find along
the trail . Many thru-hikers now carry a version of some alcohol burner and
as Reiss stated, a homemade stove can be used to burn Esbit Tablets in a
pinch when only a min. of water is to be heated. You can use rubbing alcohol
if needed or better yet, Heet gas tank drier. I was a white gas heavyweight
fan for years and own about any design you can think of. ( I still use these
flame-throwers in winter or cold conditions, like climbing ) Tom's canister
stove may be tops for a section hiker who doesn't need to replace canisters
or where refills can be bought. I still give my nod to one of the alcohol
burners either bought or homemade for a thru-trip. I own three factory
alcohol stoves ( one old sigg, an east german model, and a triangia cooker
with simmer ring ). The home designs of Bob Reiss and Roy Robbins both beat
any factory stoves I own. The " Cat Food " cooker Roy made me turner many
heads in my small sections A and B hike. Now Swiss Miss is using the " Grain
Gadget " which has worked well to the foothills of the Sierras.  " Alcohol is
a valid option for a lightpacking thru-hiker "