[pct-l] Homemade alcohol stove

After reading all this fun stuff I decided to make one. My daughters and I
made one from the pop can kit described in http://www.pcthiker.com.

Are the flames supposed to come blasting (kinda) out of the holes in the
top? Do you just light the pool sitting in the middle of the can? I tried
it with just a teeny bit in there, which was hard to light. It just burned
in the middle part with a gentle flame. Then I put more in and also it
burned the same way. Then I opened up the three holes at the bottom so air
and fuel would go into the annular region. Still, no visible flames came
out of the pin holes.

Any words of wisdom?