Re: [pct-l] ultralight pack

Mountain Dave's ultra light pack consisting of a bamboo stick and a
handkerchief reminded me of an idea I had back a while ago about a pack I was
designing using bamboo as stiffeners or as a frame and silk as the cloth
material.  Both are extremely strong and lightweight and, of course, are
natural materials.  An interesting idea that I haven't followed through on.
I have the bamboo in my backyard.  It is perfect, thin and extremely tough
and laterally strong with just the right stiffness.  The silk on the
otherhand is expensive and I am reluctant to risk such a beautiful piece of
material on a prototype.

Musings of a home bound hiker . . .

Greg "Strider" Hummel