[pct-l] footwear/Australian on the AP/TP

Hi all,
  First I'd like to thank you all for the entertainment (and information)
that I get from the List.  As support crew and a minimal backpacker (5 -10
miles per day) I'm not going to offer any advice but just share what is
working for my partner, long time subscriber, Dave Paulson, aka California
Dave, aka Walk On, aka D - 3 (aka, I think, Montedodge is calling him
Diamond Dave).  David hiked from border to border in '97 in Teva Terydactls
(went through 3 1/2 pairs)and wool socks.  He likes the air, the weight,
and this particular style
which works for his feet; he has high arches, strong
ankles, strong feet (years of competitive, cross-county running).  The
downside: he almost lost them (the sandles not his feet) in swift water at
a difficult crossing in
'97, in '99  he got caught in a late snow storm and got frost bite on four
toes, and it rips up the socks quickly (he gets more wear by wearing them
upside down until he's got holes top and bottom).  The  upside:  no
blisters in '97 and this year he's reached the Mojave  (at the Country
Store as of 5/27) and has no blisters (he had one small blister about a
week into the hike where he always gets one starting out in sandles which
has already callused up).
  Next, I have a request.  Dave is looking for a copy of An Australian on
the Appalachian Trail by Jesse Brampton.  Dave hiked the AP with Jesse in
'87 and would like to read his musings.  Does anyone have a copy out there
to sell, share, or know where I can get ahold of one (it's out of print)?
  Third, I guess I'm almost embarrassed to ask this but as you all can't
see my blushing face, here goes: last summer ('99) Dave and I did some
recreational backpacking at the peak of thru-hiker season which brought us
into VVR.  In the hiker box (all that leftover stuff to add to and rejoice
over) we resupplied with some toilet paper left by a previous hiker.  Now I
hope you don't think I'm weird but it was the best TP I've ever used.  It
was soft, strong, absorbent, and I needed only 1/2 as much as any other TP
I've used.  I have tried every brand in our local stores and can't find it.
Does anyone have a brand that matches this description? (Okay, I'm
laughing myself at this!)
     With laughter,

                Shadow Hiker (Nancy Cunningham)