[pct-l] De-Lurk/Introduction

Hi all.

I guess it's time for me to de-lurk and introduce myself. My name is Greg
Bell and I will be doing a northbound PCT thru-hike beginnning next April.

A little background:

I'm 35 years old and live in South Pasadena, CA. I work as a computer
technician for a small ISP in Pasadena, CA and also serve part-time as an
infantryman in the California Army National Guard. I was in a light infantry
battalion in the active Army from 1985 to 1988 and spent three years in
Germany during the early 90's. I also play guitar, write poetry and am an
amateur filmmaker.

I've been an avid hiker and backpacker since I was a teenager. I first fell
in love with the outdoors as a kid on family vacations to places like the
Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Lake Tahoe and Julian, CA; the wild areas of the
world have had a hold on me since then.

Plans for my thru-hike:

I'm planning to leave Campo on the 22nd of April and hopefully arrive at
Manning Park about the 10th of September. The plan is to average 20 miles a
day and take a full rest day each week.

Why I'm doing it:

First off, I've wanted to do this for several years. I want the challenge,
the rewards of doing it. Also, my intent is to do the hike as a pledge walk
for one (or more) charities. Haven't finalized details on the charitable end
of things as yet, but I hope to have them worked out by the end of July.
Lastly, I want to raise awareness of the plight of wild areas in America and
promote appreciation of the outdoors. To this end, I intend to record my
trip with a digital video camera and post a multimedia trail journal on a
website as I go.

Well, I think I've said more than enough already. I think I'll give my
fingers (and everyone else's sensibilities) a rest now.

Looking forward to getting to know you all.

<HTML>
<Body>
Greg Bell<BR>
<b>PCTHiker2001@hotmail.com</b><BR>
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep.<BR>
But I have promises to keep,<BR>
And miles to go before I sleep<BR>
And miles to go before I sleep."<BR>
--  Robert Frost, <i> Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening</i>