[pct-l] Homemade can burner

I used a wood burning can, my "bark burner".  It was a V-8 juice can, cut
down to about 5 and a half inches( about 5 inches across).  I cut
triangular holes JUST ABOVE THE BOTTOM, and 3 slits midway up the
sides(file edges).  You can punch holes in the can with a churchkey at the
bottom edge, but this doesnot work as well, because ash fills the holes
partially and when you put sticks in , their ends do the same - it works
much better to have the airholes about half an inch off the bottom. I used
a 1 inch pipe hanging strap as a spacer on top of the can and between the
pot and the can.  If you put a pot right on top of the can, the fire goes
out.  I bent the strap into an elongated "C", and the stap has holes in it,
so there is a lot of air flow.  I used small balls of cotton in vaseline as
a fire starter (for emergencies, and as a possible blister and abrasive
skin first aid).  The whole thing weighted 3 oz. and I carried it  the
whole trail, using it as a backup and to lessen alcohol production.  I also
used it on really cold nights and mornings, to warm my hands and to feel
warmer.  I never missed having a fan, if anything the wood seem to burn too
fast anyway.  No fire scar, no charcoal, a very focused fire( I could boil
2 cups of water with a meter length good woodstick about as big around as
my little finger in about 3 minutes).  I also wrapped a 6 inch wide piece
of blue foam around the can to enclose any of the sharp edges in transit
and used this to retain heat in the pot after cooking.

I think that aluminum cans will melt - the sides of my can would become
cherry red

----------
> From: Brett Tucker <blisterfree@hotmail.com>
> To: pete@asprey.net; pct-l@edina.hack.net
> Subject: Re: [pct-l] Modified ZIP?
> Date: Sunday, April 23, 2000 7:54 PM
>
> >I'm getting seduced towards the zip...what modifications are you making
and
> >recommending?  Thanks, Pete
> >

> http://www.monmouth.com/~johno/8ozZIP.htm
>
> PCT hiker Tom Conover devised these instructions. They are a bit sketchy
> be sure. But apparently he's carrying such a stove on his hike this year.
My
> own plan calls for a couple of aluminum juice cans cut to replicate the
Zip