RE: [pct-l] ADT

>From: "Welter, Ed" <Ed.Welter@nike.com>
>It occurred to me that ultralight could really be
>applied to long distance bike touring: even on the most scenic of routes,
>you pass towns, stores, motels, etc. all the time.  The safety factor is
>much less severe than ultra light thru-hiking.

My longest bike ride has been under one hundred miles, so I can only
theorize, and agree with you, that lightweight hiking-type principles should
work for a long distance bike trip. The big difference would definitely
involve food weight, which would be far less when biking across our urban
nation.

As for safety, I think statistically long distance hiking is safer than long
distance road cycling, mainly because of the absence of multi-ton steel
vessels speeding by all day. I don't have the figures, but am almost certain
that serious injuries and especially fatalities are far more common on the
roads. But in terms of safety from nature's vicissitudes, yes, cycling
should allow one a greater opportunity to dodge trouble. Every building
passed becomes a potential "bomb off."

>But I've looked around
>the net and can't find anything that applies the ultra light >principles to
>touring...everyone seems to lug around a lot of stuff ...odd.  Any
>ideas/thoughts on this?

Swapping backpack for panniers, I would probably take along shelter,
sleeping bag, clothing, alcohol stove, and a few other essentials, and then
add cycling-specific items. I wouldn't imagine my base weight would exceed
that for backpacking. With this approach, I would intend to camp for free
wherever possible, KOA or hostel where available, and motel every now and
then.  Those wishing to really live it up could probably go far lighter. Why
are the masses traveling more encumbered? No idea. It seems to me that bike
touring is automatically a lighter profession than long distance hiking, for
a given approach.

Enough vague theorizing. If I actually bike cross country after my hike, it
will be a trial by fire, learn as I go, sort of thing. I simply lack the
time or energy to investigate now, what with the major hike looming. But if
anyone on the list has done a long bike trip, especially following a long
hike, then that might make for interesting reading. Anyone else thinking of
tacking on a bike trip to their PCT journey this year?

- Blisterfree