[pct-l] re: howdy all

Liz wrote:

>>>   I was a subscriber to the pct list in '97-'98 and hiked 1200 miles of
the pct during the ill fated El Nino year of '98.  Andrea and I hiked from
Campo to Kennedey Meadows and "flip-flopped" to Manning Park and hiked all
of Washington.  Last summer I hiked 450 miles, with Ant Newman (check out
his website!), from Etna Summit to Ollalie Lake.  This summer I hope to
finish the rest of the trail; 100 miles in OR, and 900 from Etna Summit to
Kennedey Meadows.  Even though I had intended a thru-hike in '98 and was
somewhat disappointed in our change of plans it has been super to have the
hike to look forward to the last couple of years and I got to meet that
many more folks on the trail!    <<<

similar situation with me and ellen.  we planned on a southbound for last
year, had to modify it to a flip-flop because of la nina.  then the
flip-flop got modified even more coz snow didn't melt til late august.
ended up doing walker pass - carson pass, then mt hood - canada.  ellen said
that was enough for her, so i continued solo mt hood - ashland, where the
loneliness kicked me off in october.

after doing a 'normal' S-N AT hike, all the jumping around gave me no sense
of continuity on the PCT.  there wasn't a lot of pull keeping me on the
trail because it didn't feel like a 'thru-hike.'  no sense of community,
either, which i really missed.  one flip i could handle, but flip-flop-flip
left me feeling like stringing together 4 different trails (if i had
finished).  so when i spent all but one night in oregon alone (would have
been every night if Mountain Dave and i hadn't split a cabin at ollalie), it
was pretty easy to hop off and visit AT friends in ashland.

anyway, now we look forward to biting off chunks in N calif during thru-hike
season.  we'd like to finish mexico - walker pass in one shot with the
thru-hikers one year.  hope to see some of you between ashland and castella
this year.

mike
ke kaahawe
AT92  TYT94  PCT/2 99

mexico --?-> walker --99-> carson <-?-- ashland <-99-- mt hood --99-> canada
(how's that for flip flopping?!!)