[pct-l] which trail is harder

Well, thanks for thinking of me as a super macho hiker, but having done all
three trails, I've gotta disagree that it's a clear choice as to which trail
is hardest.

The AT is mile for mile much harder than the PCT in terms of physical
exertion. For section hikers hiking in the right season, I'd venture to say
that most miles of the AT are harder than most miles of the PCT! Even in the
Sierra, the trail is graded better than in "flat" Virginia. On the PCT, you
can walk without always having to look down at your feet, tripping over rocks
and roots, and hauling yourself up by your hands. True, there's some high
altitude, but not THAT high -- And most people do get used to it after a
while. The PCT's difficulty comes if you're trying to thru-hike because, as
you rightly pointed out, of the extreme environments and snow. But even so,
some 70 - 85 percent of potential thru-hikers fail to finish the AT -- the
completion rate on the PCT is much higher (perhaps because more experienced
hikers attempt it.) I think comparisons are awfully difficult to make. I
think any PCT finisher who wanted to hike the CDT and understood what it was
about (navigation, little hiker infrastructure, no social community, route
decision making) could do it. I did the CDT first -- go figure.

Karen Berger

Fact---- More people finish the AT than start the PCT. Roughly 350 AT
finishers per year. PCT roughly 60 finishers per year. I will stick out my
neck and agree the AT is a good warm up to doing the PCT. Any PCT finisher
could do the AT but not all AT finishers could do the PCT. Just as many PCT
finishers would not be able to finish the CDT, but any CDT would be able to
finish either the AT or the PCT. I have the utmost respect for CDT
finishers!!!! They are super hikers in my book!! An AT hiker does not carry
the same macho status as a CDT hiker or even a PCT hiker and are lower on the
food chain. HoHoHo Merry Christmas. See you at the Kick -off