[pct-l] Crampoons/Ice Sax

Hi-- This is not Ben Harth, but a friend of his who is also hiking the
PCT this year, starting in exactly one week (wa-hoo!).

My situation:  I am not much of an alpine, rock&ice-type guy, more of a
walk-thru-the-woods fellow.  I am aware that the high sierra portion of
the PCT will be under lots of snow and ice when I will be passing
through, and that devices such as crampons and ice axes are
recommended/necessary for that part of the hike.  Right now, I am in
the final stages of planning and packing, and I am balking a bit at
spending $200 or more on gear that I probably won't use after the hike.

My question ('cause we all have one):  I was wondering if any of you
PCT-types, especially past-year thru hikers, would be willing to rent
or lend me some alpine equipment for the brief portion of the hike in
which I will be needing it.  I would, of course, pay a deposit against
damage (hopefully it won't be neccessary), and return them to you as
soon as I was out of the high sierra (probably from TM).  I would
greatly appreciate any help on this.

Please respond to me at ezrafreeman@hotmail.com, as I don't have daily
access to this list.  Good luck to the classs of 2000- see ya all out
on the trail!
--Ezra Freeman--