Re: [pct-l] Shoeshoes vs crampons for the Earlybirds

----------
>From: Montedodge@aol.com
>To: pct-l@edina.hack.net
>Subject: [pct-l] Shoeshoes vs crampons for the Earlybirds
>Date: Fri, Mar 31, 2000, 1:52 PM

a heavy hiker may look into bringing some light( ala
> MSR 22 inch) snowshoes if going early past KM. These would be well worth
> their weight yesterday . Campmor sells MSR snowcats for 49 dollars which
> really work well ( A friend used them at whitepass last month) I would pick
> up a pair and if not needed past KM, you could have a 49.00 bon fire  as they
> are all plastic but the built in crampon cleats or mail them home at next
> chance. Earlybirds do need some type of crampon or sleep late and take
> snowshoes. And of course,ya ya ya, you may wait till Jardine day and forget
> everything, June 15th or something???

I bought a pair of these "snow cats" for some of my early hiking. Just spent
a week in Mt. Hood NF mostly in snow and I enjoyed them. The pivoting toe
alowed me to go staight up an incline. The plastic bottom certainly showed
wear after little use! Me thinks them's disposible snow shoes now.

Tomorrow we leave for Tahoe. I will see how these MSR's work on the wild and
wooly PCT.

Lee