[pct-l] re **UPDATE 3.24.2000* Retraction and Clarification

Regarding my email entitled UPDATE 3.24 Tony Cruz
did not authorize the use of his signature. Nor did
he approve the content of the email. That email is
entirely of my own making.

In the haste of limited time and trying to get some work done
I sent this out because I thought Tony and I had an agreement
from a phone conversation I missunderstood.  That was not the
case. I apologize to Tony and to everyone receiving that email.

What exactly Tony will support is as follows.  I have included email
from Tony (with permission) that precisely defines his position and
concerns.

Next, for those of you supporting the recall petition let me take
this opportunity to thank you. The procedure is that I will collect
the signatures from you and then the recall document will be
printed in the Escree (mandatory by Bylaws) and we will vote on
this at a future meeting. I will request direction on the use of
Proxy votes.

Sincerely,

Rich Calliger

--emails follow--

Rich:

I'll sign the petition to remove Steve
from his post as Pubcom (not from the PCS),
when you retract your email, but I do not
accept your excuse to send an email purportedly
signed by me, without getting my review
and permission first.  I made it clear to
you that I would take no part in any attempt
to remove Rick and it should be clear to you
that I would never have allowed myself to
be associated with your email.

<sniped some compliments out here>

At least you are correct in saying that
you made a mistake.  It was a biggie.

Tony

If you read nothing else, please comment
on this:  approximately *when* will the
PCS list investigation be done?

The most significant point is that
official PCS business *is* in fact
being discussed on climber.org lists
(this is denied by the section chair), the
only channel endorsed by the PCS.  I
can forward you evidence of this if you
like.

If the PCS endorses this non-SC list, why will
it not endorse a single 2-way list on an
SC server open to all members?  This is in
clear violation of the BoD and <STRIKE NEXT
 SENTENCE AND MOVE PERIOD UP> frankly I'm
surprised that nobody at the LP chapter
cares to respond to my complaints.
(** NOTE - THE CHAPTER HAS RESPONDED** )

When Rich and I tried to make a motion
at the last PCS meeting, our Chair let
us speak, but before there was any discussion,
he announced that he did not endorse
communication via email broadcasts on an
SC server and that he never would.  He thus
killed any constructive remedy to the
list dictatorship that we can employ
at the chapter level.

The remedy that I've proposed is blatently
common sense and inoffensive.  I am very
frustrated.  Next year I think I'll drop
my SC membership and give the money to
somebody else, if there is no list made
available to me where I can seek climbing
partners and chat without a list dictator
controlling our conversations.  Climbing is
why I joined the club in the first place.

Tony Cruz

>DATE: Sat, 18 Mar 2000 07:47:33
>From: "Tony Cruz" <icruz@hotbot.com>
>To: pkclimber@aol.com
>Cc:calliger@aol.com
>(Rich, throw away that Mac :)
>
>Hi John, Harlan, Nancy:
>
>Thank you again for taking time to discuss these issues on the phone
>last evening John.
>
>We are taking your suggestion John to ask for Chapter clarification
>before proceeding any further.
>
>Therefore here are the ambiguities in our Section Bylaws (attached
>to this email) we discussed and we would like to ask for a clarifying
>statement from the Chapter to help end a list dispute in the PCS.
>
>At a duly constituted meeting of our Section on March 14 2000,
>we presented a motion to change the by-laws to incorporate
>an official, unmoderated, 2-way discussion list on an SC
>server for the PCS.  The Chair, Rick Booth, heard the motion
>and was given a written copy (attached).  We volunteered to work
>the motion if the wording was not to his technical satisfaction.
>He refused to publish it in our newsletter.
>
>Rick had met with us in a prior private meeting of the PCS officers
>(Section Chair, PubComm Chair) Ron and Aaron were also there;
>and we came within a hair of agreeing to a 2-way list.
>But we were required to agree to the condition that Steve Eckert,
>our PubComm Chair, write the charter.  We have substantial reasons
>to believe that Steve would insist on a charter yielding to him all
>decisions about the list, including control of content.
>
>Rick believes that the PCS PubComm chair has the sole right to
>establish list charters; we don't know why.  We asked for an open
>list, not run by a list dictator.  Therefore we could not settle
>the dispute without directly appealing to the Section membership.
>
>We ask the Chapter to give an opinion on whether or not a
>seconded-motion to change the by-laws should be published in our
>newsletter for subsequent vote by the membership. Rick claims
>that he has the right to deny such a motion since there is no
>specific wording compelling him to publish it in the newsletter,
>the specified mechanism to publicize such a motion required
>before vote.
>
>Incidentally, there was no such formal procedure followed before
>Steve Eckert moved our discussion list to a private server which
>he partly owns, the clear conflict of interest setting the stage
>for this dispute. This allowed Eckert to be list dictator
>with impunity, at least before the BoD consensus decree (attached).
>Half a year after this decree was issued, at least two of Eckert's
>lists on Climber.org continue operation in clear violation, including
>one for the PCS.  Our chair argued that the section is not
>*required* to run a 2-way discussion list.  We counter by saying
>that *if* a 2-way discussion list for the PCS is allowed to exist,
>then it should be on an SC server; this is a no-brainer and
>should immediately be implemented by the PCS leadership.

> [...]

Under Bill s.1618 TITLE III passed by the 105th US
Congress, this letter cannot be considered spam
as long as the sender includes contact information and a method
of removal. To be removed, please email calliger@infolane.com
with "Remove" in the subject line from the exact address from which
you received it.

Entire email Copyright © 2000 R.J. Calliger