RE: [pct-l] Where's your margin for error?

Paul asks >>When I'm out thru-hiking this year am I going to have to bail
people out that are running too light and lean? <<

It's been my experience that the need to "bail" people out is less dependent
upon how much gear they are taking than how well they know how to use what
they have. I've seen my share of people floundering around with heavy packs
with no clue about what they are doing.

Pick any two days around Spinger in March or April. You'll find a plethora
of people with enormous packs walking around shivering. Not because their
gear is inadequate, but their usage is. While fewer neophytes tend to
attempt the PCT, I'm sure there will be a few.

Let's make sure we don't just go in assuming light = stupid. After all
stupid has no weight limit.

30 days and counting!

Ron "Fallingwater" Moak
PCT 2000 - http://www.fallingwater.com/pct2000