Re: [pct-l] Re Bear Food

on 3/25/00 6:53 PM, PaddyBeer@aol.com at PaddyBeer@aol.com wrote:

> Help me here.  Why doesnt hanging the food do the trick?

I didn't carry a bear cannister on my thru hike and didn't have problems
with bears and my food (just a dang squirrel at Deep Creek!). I hung my food
all the time when I was in bear country and I met no other thru hikers who
carried cannisters.

Consider hanging your food as a delay tactic. If the bear really wants the
food it's going to get it. When I hung my food I made sure that it was not
too far away so that if a bear came in the night and attempted to get it I
would wake from it's activity and could chase it away by yelling or clanging
my cook pot with a rock. This was never the case though during my hike.

IMHO hanging your food will work. Just make sure you do it correctly and
diligently.

Troubadour
http://www.pcthiker.com | experience the pacific crest trail