[pct-l] Re: Frozen meat

Roy --

You're definitely right about the need for caution.

I think the main thing is to maintain a refrigerator-like environment, so
that the (thawed) surface of the meat is not that much warmer than the
(frozen) core.  Wrapping twice in Ziplocs without squeezing out all the air
in either is important; so is keeping the meat well compartmented in the
fuzzy jacket.  So this technique would be suitable for warmer weather,
where the jacket isn't being used, or in quite cold weather, where the low
difference in temperature between the meat and air makes the heat transfer
slow.

One could also make a very light "refrigerator" of a cut-up ground pad and
duct tape to avoid depending on the coat.  For a winter mountaineering
class, we made insulated bowls out of a tupperware container, ground pad,
and duct tape to keep the food hot long enough to cook at 20 below.

Moreover, I wouldn't want to try make this work for more than two days.
 But those two days make for good eating.

Each person must make this kind of decision and take the risks for
him/herself.

-- Dave

-----
Be really cautious about eating partially thawed meats.  My son, Brian,
used
some in his spaghetti sauce a few years ago on a Sierra hike, and has never
been sicker in his life

<< buy about a pound and a half of hamburger,
 then ask them to rewrap it in 1/2-lb portions
 and freeze it.... Two days later the last portion
 was still partially frozen, despite S.Cal temps,
 and my stews were much more satisfying (read:
 fantastic!) those evenings. >>
----