RE: [pct-l] The BakePacker

Stove:Using a stove that is adjustable very little water boils off because
it is a closed pot [has a cover] This brings us back to the original
question. Could you use an alcohol stove? Maybe. The slow boil times
reported indicate that it might work very well.

Fuel: I use a butane stove. [Primus Titanium with a MSR windscreen and a
custom "star" to hold the windscreen] I think I use 2 ounces of fuel per
meal but this is hard to calculate.

My Meal: My meal usually consists of boiling a pot of water for soup and
rehydrating powdered food. Cooking a cup of standard rice [12 miniutes in
the BakePacker] and baking a Chocolate [If I get my way] Cake [12 minuites
in the BP}. My fare is typically, hot soup, a bean [reconstituted] and rice
[real] burrito and hot chocolate cake.

Tom,

That sounds real tasty. A bit out of the norm for a thru-hiker. My guess
would be that the Trangia Stove may work with its larger fuel capacity and
more adjustable flame setup.

Mine  would be hard pressed to perform that simply because it doesn't hold
enough fuel. They Myer-Robinson stove may work with its larger capacity.
However, it's not clear if adding more fuel will necessarily increase the
burn time.

In mine three table spoons of fuel burns in about the same length of time as
two. The larger amount burns a bit hotter and works a bit better in wind. In
both cases burn times are about 10 to 11 minutes. However, either stove is
easy to refill and relight. I've poured fuel into mine within 30 seconds of
the flame extinguishing with no problems. It cools quickly and never gets
too hot.

To be sure, bring your Bake Packer to the ADZPCTKO and we'll try her out.

Ron "Fallingwater" Moak
PCT 2000 Journey - http://www.fallingwater.com/pct2000