[pct-l] Lunch Foods

 Joe , who is a officer in the PCTA, ate a sandwich of ham and cheese daily
on his thru-hike. Don , my parter, ate a peanutbutter and jam sandwich daily
as he did the year before on the AT. The peanutbutter and jam did hit the
spot as it contains lots of fat, protein and carbs when made with whole wheat
bread. Taste is the main thing. Eat something you can handle for 5 months. I
saw some hikers open their fourth resupply box and pitch half the food as
they had grown tired of their choosen rations. Really, I never tired of
tunu,mac and cheese for dinner topped with instant pudding for dessert. I
just read in this months Backpacker mag., someone " reinvented Fizzies" .
Those of us 40 and over remember these little alkoselzer like tables you
would drop in water to make carbonated kool-aid. The new version sells for 75
cents per three which doctor up a quart of water. I view powerbars, carb gue,
cliff bars and the such as marketing gimmicks aimed at upscale newbies with
more money than common sense when many old time foods can do the same thing
for a fraction of the cost.