Re: [pct-l] Boots

on 3/8/00 8:40 AM, CMountainDave@aol.com at CMountainDave@aol.com wrote:

> Now don't get me
> wrong because Vasque makes a mighty fine boot, but as Troubadour said, there
> ain't no ankle or arch support.

Huh? I said this? I musta been drunk! I've never owned a pair of Vasques. I
did try some on a long time ago. The salesperson at the time said that
Vasques tended to be on the narrow side which I agreed with since my fat
foot didn't fit well. I don't know how their recent designs fit. I haven't
tried that brand since.

On the AT I used Merrell wilderness boots which I still have along with
another new pair. I love that boot as it worked out really well for me on
the AT. On the PCT I went with shoes. I had the Merrell boots shipped to
Lone Pine in case I wanted them for the High Sierra. But, I took one look at
them and there was no way I was going to put those heavy beasts on my feet!

Perhaps that was the final draw in my conversion to ultra light. Still I
kept the wilderness boots as backups for the rest of the trip just in case.

About blisters: I think one is susceptible to blister in shoes justs as
equally as boots. Proper fit is the key. However, breaking in shoes IMHO is
quicker than breaking in heavy leather boots.

Troubadour
http://www.pcthiker.com | experience the pacific crest trail