Re: [pct-l] RE: pct-l-digest V1 #1042

Actually, coming from the East is almost as bad as coming from overseas.
It costs $20-$25 per box to ship cross-country, so we want to minimize
that.  What we are planning to do is buy as much as possible at each town
along the way, and for the places where you can't resupply, ship food
ahead from the larger towns.  example - when we fly into  San Diego,
we'll ship a box of food to Warner Springs, from Wrightwood or Mojave,
we'll ship to Kennedy Meadows, from Ashland, we plan to ship to Crater
Lake, Cascade Summit (Shelter cove), Olallie Lake, and Timberline, from
Cascade Locks, we'll ship food to White Pass, Snoqualmie, Skykomish (if
we don't decide to go to Leavenworth) and Stehekin.  Makes for a lot of
work in town, but it is doable. Alternatively, the PCTA web page has a
link to Chris Bailey's  resupply suggestions for how to resupply entirely
from grocery stores along the way. Basically, it means hitching from the
trail to the bigger towns (i.e. Leavenworth, Quincy, etc.) instead of
depending on resupply at the often inadequate small stores nearer the
trail.   There isn't that much difference hitching 5 miles or 20 miles.

Ginny
On Sun, 5 Mar 2000 19:41:06 -0000 "Claire and Jamie Riches"
<claireandjamie@connectfree.co.uk> writes:
> >Going from personal experience I find it better to ship to the first
> three
> or four and then play the rest by ear for you never know whats going
> happen.  Have the rest sent in as you go.
> Happy Trails
> Dharmabum
>
> -Bit of a delayed response - Dharmabum, how would you advise having
> the rest
> sent in when you have travelled across the big pond to do the walk?
>
> Cheers
> Jamie
>
> * From the PCT-L |  Need help? http://www.backcountry.net/faq.html
> *