Re: [pct-l] [pct list] query to Y2K thru-hikers

> 1) Find thru-hikers on each of the major trails who are willing to carry a
> SMALL (like 1 1/2 pounds) computer, which would (we hope) be provided by a
> computer maker. (You'd have to give it back at the end). Or, if you're
> already planning on carrying a computer, you could use yours.

You may wish to consider using a pocketmail device such as the sharp TM-20.
It only weighs 8 ounces and will provide e-mail access from any payphone.
Plus they are relatively cheap $119.
Actually I'm using a Handspring Visor PDA ( It weighs 5 ounces ) and I'm linking it with my Laptop I'll be using in my bounce box when I get to towns.  Hopefully it won't "Bounce" too hard!
Wish me luck I'm going to see if they'll let me write for them.
Cheers
Dharmabum PCT 2000
AKA
Paul